Friday, July 1, 2011

looking up...

i write this blog for others to experience what life is like with femoroacetabular impingement (fai), what having a labral tear is like, what post-op life is like and everything in between. i also write this blog for myself. it is a good way to process through this journey, with my fingers tapping at my computer. i can pound away and the stress of it all rushes out of me.

i can't tell you how stressful this process has been for me.

the last few sleepless nights have led to exhaustion, but thankfully i have dealt with the disability process before and things are always easier the second time around. all phone calls have been made, and packets are on there ways to various departments for various importance...its hard to keep track...

i got a hold of the leave administration at work and was left with a load of relief. before contacting i was expecting to be left with no leave, no insurance, and ultimately no job...no nothing. thank goodness i made the call to cover my basis because when my family medical leave runs out (which i still have 3 weeks of!) i have medical leave! i don't necessarily have my old job back, but the company will do its best to place me when my disability is over. i don't know if my body can handle going back to my old job, but nonetheless i get to keep insurance (praise the Lord), and the benefits of still being with the company. huge stressor gone.

ultimately there are lights in this really dark tunnel. there is hope that things will get better and the reality is that this surgery and its recovery is unpredictable. everyone heals at a different pace and my pace might be a tad slower.

who knows what blessings in a really good disguise will come.

3 comments:

  1. God really likes us to take HIS time to trust in Him, doesn't He? So thankful with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not wish FAI on anyone yet I was relieved to find your blog and someone who knows what I am going through. My symptoms started back in May of this year. Having landscaping done around our home. I didn't do it, I was just overseeing the guys I hired to get it done. I'd get intermittent groin pain. Felt like I had been kicked there. Would come and go here and there. Being that I am pushing 40 later this year and have had numerous bone and joint injuries over the years from sports and the Army it is not unusual to have aches and pains. I wouldn't say that I deserve them but more like I've earned them. When those aches and pains attack ones "Manhood" well, lets just say it got my attention. It would come and go. As soon as I'd think that I should probably go to the doctor and get it checked the pain would go away. Except one day at 3pm it woke me from a dead sleep. Stabbing/burning sensation, really intense right up the right side of my groin, this wasn't going away, I called in sick to work and went to urgent care. "Muscle pull, could be epididymitis" were the diagnosis so ibuprofen and an antibiotic were ordered. Three days later I was at my doctor's office at 8am because the burning sensation and pressure wouldn't go away. Had an Ultra sound of my lower abdomen and my "Junk". All was well, no problem, nothing wrong. Then my doctor put pressure on my right groin. I bout jumped off the table. X-rays showed the femoral head misshapen. The next week I saw a sports medicine doctor that ordered an MRI which confirmed the Labral Tear, the edema, cyst on femur. I started the physical therapy last week. See the surgeon again this Tuesday. Thinking surgery in Sept. I'm scared. My wife and I are adventurous and travel quite a bit. The day I went in for ultrasounds I was supposed to be scuba diving with a scuba group in Wisconsin. We had to cancel a hiking trip to Colorado three weeks ago cause I could hardly walk. A couple of buddies and I are supposed to be on a canoeing/camping trip right now in North Minnesota. In the end of Sept my wife and I had planned a trip to Europe that we are now putting off till next year when hopefully I will be fully recovered. What gets me is I will wake up in the morning and feel okay but as soon as I get moving the burning starts.

    Thanks for your blog. You have me thinking of starting my own.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad,

    thank you so much for your comment. it is nice to hear the stories of others going through this and feel not so alone. going through this process can be daunting and disappointing to say the least. i really hope that the rest of your process through surgery and recovery is smooth.

    take your time and don't be too hard on yourself through recovery and up until then. i feel lazy more often than not, but the reality is that with strict surgeon's orders i have to be "lazy". find ways to enjoy this seemingly crummy situation and don't put too many expectations on yourself and this process. pushing too hard can set you back further in recovery so be kind to your body.

    hang in there and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete