Thursday, October 21, 2010

oh for it to be january...

Whelp, met with my surgeon yesterday. All in all a relieving visit. A lot more validation as to why i am feeling and the way I am. And surgery is three months out!

Turns out I do have femoral acetabular impingement (fai), with a turned hip socket, labral tearing (which includes cartlage delamination), and damage in general from the wear and tear of a misshapen femoral/acetabular joint.

I'm an info junkie and I thrive on the details so to have a surgeon who went through everything in detail was a huge relief. He was honest about the success rate, complications and general reality of the surgery.

So for details...at this point my surgery date is three months out, God willing I make it that long! I will be out of work about 6 weeks and fully recovered anywhere from 6 months to a year. The success rate is 60%-80% and with the bounty of findings I am a perfect candidate (hoping this means full recovery for me!). If the surgery is not a success I will have to live with it until a full replacement happens. This is, of course, worse case scenario. I'm just a realist wanting to know all the possibilities. There are possibilities of arthritis with the cartlage damage already incurred, but I have hope things will get cleaned up and I will be good as new!

At 26 I never thought I would be going in for hip surgery, but I will be ringing in the new year with a new outlook, and a repaired hip!

And in the mean time here's to pain management for three months :|

No comments:

Post a Comment