Thursday, September 29, 2011

working my glutes...

yesterday was the first day of physical therapy post-op. what an exhausting hour. my pt found every sore spot, for better or for worse.
when it comes down to it i have a few mechanical issues.

· my hips are rotated
i knew this from before, but it is a good reminder of my body mechanics. having rotated hips (i can't remember if it is anterior rotation (forward) or if the sockets are inverted towards one another ) means my external rotation (rotating my femur clockwise in my socket while my leg is flexed at 90°) is much easier than my internal roation (rotating my hip counter-clockwise while my leg is flexed at 90°).
internal rotation
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK266/bin/ch158f14.jpg
i'm fascinated with all of this so bare with me!
 · i am not activating my glutes
basically i have been activating my piriformis instead of my glutes. i have been making a tiny muscle do the work of a large (granted mine isn't as large as it was) muscle.
large gluteus
tiny pirifrmis

One thing that is happening in not engaging my glutes, the abnormal tilt to my hips and the general imbalance of my body, my musculoskeletal system is taking a hit. i am pushing my femur forward in the acetabulum, continuing to impinge the joint. what?! furthering impingement? yes, that is correct.

where to go from here?

well, thankfully my pt has a course of action. this course of actions starts with two very simple glute activating exercises. yes, i will be working on re-activating my glutes to start working again. from there it is retraining my body, and fixing the musculoskeletal issues. we will be working to get my femur back into correct positioning.

not out of the woods, but i am a glute exercise away! ...of sorts...

5 comments:

  1. yes, and then i get a tight...i get a butt ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KelBel,

    My name is Brad and I too have FAI with a torn Labrum. I tore mine July 5th, 2011, Had severe right groin pain that and was given ibuprofen and antibiotics. Wasn't ill 3 days later that I had ultrasounds and xrays that found the FAI, another week for the MRI. Cortisone shot and 4 weeks of physical therapy did nothing. Surgery was Sept 7th. Going back to work in 2wks. My main issue right now is rotation. If you straighten out your leg and point your toes to the sky then rotate your so you toes point toward your other foot and then out away from your other foot, I've lost that. I'm gaining back little by little. I am mostly pain free till I rotate like that then hurts like hell.

    I have a question for you. Did you have a second surgery in Sept. I am confused because your blog entry mentioned that you were having your first PT appointment since surgery however is sounds like your surgery was so long ago. I had my first PT appointment the day after my surgery.

    Thanks for creating your blog!!! Really helped me to prepare for what lies ahead. Right now I go swimming twice a week. I basically hold on to the side of the pool and kick my legs. I love scuba diving and booked at trip to Cozumel in February so that is my goal to be back in fins in three weeks building up muscle again and then below the surface. Missed out on several dives this past summer and fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had commented on your blog in the past, Just found my old one from August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brad,

    i just started pt in sept.

    i don't really know why i waited this long for it, but i was doing really well in the first three months. my activity was picking up and my pain was really manageable, but once i went back to work i hit a wall and chronic inflammation set it.

    pt has been amazing the last couple months. VERY slow and steady, but i am making strides.

    my goal going in to pt as the ability to walk without pain...i'm on my way! i have good days of it and bad days of it, but there is continued improvement. the rotation is a problem for me as well but i have jacked up hips, like you ;p, so i don't know if i'll get the rotation up to "normal" speed.

    this road is a pretty crazy one. we all face different outcomes, but i am glad that this blog was of some help to you!

    best of luck as you get your feet wet again!

    hang in there,

    kellie

    ReplyDelete